Thursday, February 18, 2021

It Was the New Scarf Which Had Her By the Throat

     There have been very few moments in my life where I felt like I stood out and meant something to someone.  I am not a leader by any means; and I am a stubborn follower.  If the term didn't gross me out, I might consider myself to be middle management.  That's a very dirty phrase.  I've taken part in some really odd conversations, where my brain just sort of sparks and I suddenly make valid points or say something beautifully true. 


     My first time hanging with a particular group, and they were discussing Deja Vu (sp?).  The theory in discussion was that your brain holds a sort of script about what you expect to see and hear.  For instance, when you go to Taco Bell, you know the kid's gonna say "Welcome to Taco Bell.  May I take your order, please?"  The same goes for even your wackiest friends.  Just because you know them to say outlandishly funny and uncalled-for things, you still have an idea of what will spill out.  Well, that's a good theory, but what if it's a new situation?  My ass blurted out, "Sometimes it seems more like I'm remembering what happened before I actually know what happened."  The psych major turned to me and said, "That's actually what the most prominent theory says.  Pretty smart for a freshman."
     There was more that followed, including a lot of "You sure you never covered this before?"  Thanks, but I'm not stupid.  I mean, I do stupid things- because I sometimes lack emotional control and reactions.  I actually think about things, though.
     Same group, a few years later, they were discussing the upcoming presidential election.  "Why does it have to be a Tuesday?  My boss is never there on Tuesdays, and that's the one day I can't leave."  "Well, I know it's always the first Tuesday after the first Monday, not necessarily the first Tuesday of every November."  "Really?  That's strange.  Why not just call it the first Tuesday of November, since that's after the first Monday?"  I don't follow politics, but I have this one- "The first Tuesday of November doesn't always follow the first Monday.  If November 1st is a Tuesday, then the first Monday is almost a week later."  "Then why would they specifically say 'the first Tuesday after the first Monday?'"  Me, again, knowing things, "Because the 1st of November is All Saints Day, and this nation was founded on predominantly Catholic/Christian principles.  No one was going to vote on a holiday."  Score one for me.
     Within the same conversation, a few minutes later, I scored again.  "Hmm.  I know that the Church of England is, you know, ripped off from the Catholic church, but why don't we have anything like that here?"  "Because this isn't England?"  And I strike again, "We do, it's the Episcolpalian (sp?) church... it's just like the Anglican Church.  Remember when Catholics and Protestants didn't really get along?  That was during a lot of the initial travels to and colonization of the new world.  People who didn't fit in with their area got sent away or left."  No, I was not a genius, just used common sense.  I am so proud of that one night.  Yeah, I rock.
     Also, on a date with The Pretender, I said something kind of pretty.  I was rocking out to some awesome song, and I rock out with the volume deafening and always sing along.  After the song, I lowered the volume and apologized.  "I'm sorry.  That's just such a great song.  I have to listen to it at the top of my lungs."  I realized how stupid I sounded, and blushed.  But I've always liked what it meant to me.... to love a song so much that it becomes a part of you, and comes out through you as well as your speakers.  To listen at the top of your lungs...
     Alright, that's about all I've got for now.  I'm a little busy as of late.  I just like reminiscing about moments like that when I felt brilliant, in all of its meanings.

No comments:

Post a Comment