Thursday, February 18, 2021

She Was Feeling Angry... And Justified

     I'm going to start this off with a reminder that I am a bad friend.  Terrible.  After I realize that I have lost a friend, I find myself writing to them years later explaining that I'm insane and I'm sorry, but I understand.  We never get back to the level of friendship we were at (because they have learned that I'm clingy and crazy), but for the most part they forgive me.  Sometimes, though, I'm actually the sane good friend.

     You see, I have a friend, StressExcess, who, by her nickname, you can understand that she's a tense person.  Yes, her life is stressful- but who's isn't?  She has disowned her family, lost most of her belongings during a natural disaster, and is not living her dream life.  Now, I know I'm being a tad critical when I say this, but 1) she disowned her family because they were bad for her (they did not leave her, either- her choice); 2) I lost a lot of things in that disaster as well, but you know, it was just stuff; 3) she doesn't know what she does want, only what she doesn't; and her husband is living out his dream with her help, and they do have a pretty good thing going and things are getting better for them all the time.
     StressExcess is a good person.  She planned my entire wedding, and kept it a surprise for me.  How awesome is that!?!  She has talked me down through a lot of bad times, including The Pretender hitting me and cheating on me.  (Which is a little fucked up because he's now apparently dating her BFF from her new home.)  She's always been there.  I've tried my best to be there for her, as well.  I really did.  But it gets all fucked up because, as responsible as she and her husband seem, they forget to be considerate.  For instance, we took in her, her husband, her two brothers, her sister, and her father during this natural disaster (thankfully, it was the college years- the Pretender and I lived together away from "home" where the disaster hit hardest), as well as another friend, for a few days.  She and her husband up and left.  Her dad took the brothers to a hotel.  But she left the sister.  They left her sister!  She had no car and no job, and they all left.  We got one note, written in lipstick on a mirror (which is a bitch to clean) that said, "Had to go back to get some things.  Thanks for the couch."  That's it.  They never came back for her.  For two months this girl stayed with us, for some unexplained reason.  This includes seeing them every week for something we were all a part of... they just never mentioned her or anything.  I know, right?
     Well, last night was no different.  Haven't seen her in a year, and she lives like five or six states away.  She's flying in to my area!  She asks me not to tell anyone she'll be in town, because she just wants a vacation with her husband.  Stupid me thinks she told me because she wants me to know, like she wants to see me.  I suggest dinner, or seeing each other on one of the TWO days I have off this week.  "I'm sorry, I just want to chill with [mother-in-law] and stay low-key.  We could meet up somewhere and just say 'hi.'"  WTF???  Say HI?  She's not in my city, she's an hour and a half away, but still closer than she's been for a year.  I have two whole days, and just want to see her for a while for one of them.  She wants to say hi?  Then, a friend from the city she now lives in, who is dating The Pretender, is coming in later this week and wants to go sight-seeing in MY city.  Okay, fine, I'm not invited.  But I get to "say hi" and this bitch gets a fucking tour for a day?  Yes, as a matter of fact, I do feel snubbed.
     Her appendix decided to get all explodey while on this vacation.  Her husband calls me, and I ask if we can visit, because, well, I'm worried and it's a good excuse to drive and see her anyway.  Yay!  I get my visit.  He gives me the address, and DaVinci is gonna drive us there after work.  After work... I get off at 6:30, to drive an hour and a half there to see a sick friend and an hour and a half back to go to work in the morning.  I text them both when we leave my work, and say we'll be there about eight.  Get 15 MINUTES from there, and her husband calls me.  "Ugh, 3xE?  Where are you?"  "At the Taco Bell (ick) grabbing a quick bite before we get to your mom's."  "Stay there.  We forgot you were coming, and were on our way to a movie."  Basically, DaVinci and I drove for 3 hours for Taco Bell and StarBucks.  Sure, I got to see them; and boy, don't I feel relieved that I got to see my best friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment