Thursday, February 18, 2021

Green Monkeys Do It in the Dirt

I'm trying to go green.
I've always been a bit of a dirty hippie.  I don't understand big government, or the use of money.  I almost wish we could go back to a barter system.  I think by doing so most people could be useful.  Trust me, a lot of "big ideas" are lost to me.  Like, why can't you shop in a grocery store?  I mean, sure Wal-Mart might seem like it's a one-stop place, but what the fuck are you buying?  Groceries?  Well... try a local store.  Saves money and the planet.  Medicine?  Your local store or pharmacist has that, too.  And they are usually near a local grocer.  Besides, how often do you need a pharmacist, so that going out of your way is out of the question?  Clothing?  Really, do you need clothing?  Do you need more clothing?  Growing kids?  I can buy that.  And I support the decision to buy cheaply made, inexpensive clothes that will be outgrown in a year.  I mean, no one else is ever going to need them again, right?  Trust me when I say I believe in donating and passing on items to younger kids and those in need.  Spend the extra money for something well made.  Ask a tailor to mend something, or let something out, or take something in.  It supports- gasp!- a local tailor.
As an aside, I also REALLY hate Wal-Mart.
Apart from trying to save money, I'm trying to do my part to save the planet and lose a little bit of weight.  No, I'm still going to drive to work.  Sorry, but it gets to be 100º outside, and I'm not willing to ride the bus because I live in a kinda ghetto area that has several homicide reports on the news each night.  I do things like hang my laundry on a line to dry, and don't use the heated dry feature on my dish washer.
Instead, I've started gardening.  Growing fruits and veggies has been a lot of fun so far.  Every year I try, and this year has been better than most.  The seeds I started have grown into actual plants.  Usually everything turns brown and dies off because I forget to water them.  I also had several plants to work with, not just seeds.  Right now I have:  4 creole tomato plants, 3 moneymaker tomato plants, 4 yellow bell peppers, swiss chard, and santa fe, tobasco, and poblano peppers.  I also have two blueberries, two strawberries, a blackberry, a cucumber, and a cantaloupe.  (Spell check says that's right, but it looks weird.)  I've also got assorted herbs.  I'm rocking the gardening thing.
We installed a plant bed in my yard.  We have a really useless patch that has bad soil (full of shells and junk), so we built a raised bed on top.  DaVinci's been helping me water and take care of all my plants.  He says next year he'll build me another small bed for berries (maybe I'll get a raspberry!) and another large one for things that are on vines.  My cukes and melons can go there.  Hopefully I can grow okra, too.  I'll put lettuces in between the trellises.  In the bed I already have, I'm going to try onions later this year, and garlic if I can find it.  My main goal for this year is to grow and make at least one serving of salsa.
In another attempt to go green, I've been mulling over some lifestyle changes.  I reset the thermostat to not run when we aren't home and the dogs are outside.  It's also set to higher temperatures, except when we go to bed; DaVinci insists on freezing us all so he can sleep.  We're hoping to install better insulation in our house, though.  Some parts of my house have none.  So, it doesn't even necessarily have to be expensive insulation.
But now I'm mulling over water.  My area is in kind of a drought, and has been for a long time.  I know I'm going to install a rain barrel or two (front and back yards).  Let me back up and say I've been reading about climate change.  Sure, it has me a little paranoid, but I know the situation isn't hopeless.  I've also looked into climate forecasts for my region, and it looks like my area will have less frequent rainfall, but stronger, heavier storms.  Simply, it won't rain as often, but it'll rain like hell.  So, a rain barrel or two might actually be a great idea.  Hell, if I can get away with a third barrel, I'd be uber-happy.
Water, though, is important.  And I use a lot for my garden.  So, I was thinking of becoming a dirty hippie.  Really dirty.  Really.  Dirty.
I'm thinking of just kinda bathing most days.  I don't shower every day.  I'm just not a dirty person.  I usually just throw my hair in a bun or a ponytail.  I don't have a physically strenuous job, so I don't sweat.  I'm thinking that most days, instead of a shower, I'll just bath in my sink.  You know, fill up my sink with water and very little soap, and just use a washcloth.  That sounds gross, so let me finish.  At least once a week, I'll take a real shower.  I'll still need to wash my hair and shave, I guess.  And on my period, 'cause ick.  So, really, it won't be a major change.  I'm just wondering if that makes me such a dirty hippie.  I mean, I'll be just as clean, using less water.  Or is this too bad.  And will DaVinci catch on?  I'm on my own most morning, so he'd never really know, right?  Hmm.  I think I can do this.  I think I can be water-smart.

1 comment:

  1. Followed over from BB2G. :) I take 2-3 showers per week and I don't worry about doing the bathing in the sink thing. This is what I've done all my life. No one has ever found me stinky or icki. :) If you are relatively low BO I don't see why 1 shower a week would be a problem at all. :)

    Something else you can do is use gray water on non-food plants. Like wash all of your dishes in a small tub of water, dump that out and then rinse the dishes into the tub (there isn't that much soap left) and use the water for plants you aren't eating. Really. Don't do it on plants you eat from. :)

    ReplyDelete